Sunday, October 9, 2011

Have you got the stomach for it?

(A story about Chi Nei Tsang)

If, like me, you're not big on stomach massages, that may mean you're the perfect candidate for Chi Nei Tsang, a Thai abdominal massage. Here's what happened when I tried one out, courtesy of a luxury Thai resort and the generous sisters at Double Edge PR who got me there.

Like most people (dogs, cats...) I love a good massage, especially on the feet, but I have a slight problem when it comes to my stomach. You come anywhere near my tummy with those oily hands, and I chop them off! So I was a little bemused during a recent holiday at a health spa in Thailand, when a therapist suggested that it was actually my stomach that needed a good pummeling.

“You have problem with tummy,” said the Chiva-Som masseuse after she’d finished giving me a blissful body massage (which involved three seconds on the stomach before she got the evil eye). “You need Chi Nei Tsang—stomach massage. Good for you.”

“Oh, no thanks,” I laughed nervously, making a beeline for the spa. As I bubbled away, I began to reconsider. Perhaps the reason I dislike tummy massages so much is the very reason I need one. I’ve had pelvic problems since my first pregnancy and, lately, an occasional nagging ache on one side of my abdomen which neither a GP nor a physiotherapist have managed to explain. What did I have to lose? The next day, I found myself lying flat on my back, my stomach exposed, and a Chi Nei Tsang master bearing towards me, her hands poised for attack. What had I let myself in for?

Believed to have been developed by Chinese Taoist monks, Chi Nei Tsang literally means “working the energy of the internal organs”. It’s all about using deep, gentle touches to retrain the internal organs (stomach, intestines, liver, gallbladder...) to work more efficiently. Therapists say that tension and negative emotions build up in these organs causing congestion and blocking the body’s energy. This eventually weakens these organs, particularly the digestive system, causing problems like irritable bowel syndrome, constipation, bloating and gas. By gently massaging this region, my internal organs should be re-energised and my negative emotions magically released. Well, they certainly had their hands full with me!

My session was held in a dimly lit therapy room with ambient music and the sweet scent of lemongrass all around. I was covered up, except for the tummy, and massaged quite determinedly around the entire abdomen. At first it was hard to relax and I found myself tensing up, but eventually, as my therapist’s soothing hands persisted, my stomach muscles held up the white flag. And it’s just as well because this treatment is useless if you don’t relax. I found that I enjoyed part of the therapy and was slightly irritable during other parts—particularly when the therapist hit those trouble spots. “You have a small tear in your large intestine,” she said, much to my surprise. “Do you get bloating, a little bit blocked?”

“Well, maybe a little,” I replied, embarrassed. She suggested I drink warm water more often, then noted that I don’t breathe nearly deeply enough. “Breathe deeper, you’ll feel better and have much more energy.” I liked the sound of that.

By the end of the 45 minutes, I was feeling incredibly relaxed and, yes, even a little more positive about life. While she never picked up on my pelvic problem, the therapist did manage to make my nagging ache disappear, and it still feels fine some two weeks later. While this may all be the result of the holiday itself, I have come away a stomach massage convert.

It’s clear to me now that relaxation is not just about the outer muscles. If you neglect those all-important inner organs, they might just come back to bite you on the... well, you know.

More information:
Chi Nei Tsang is a signature treatment at Chiva-Som and is also available in Australia at some health spas, yoga studios, naturopathic clinics and osteopaths. Treatments range from $80 to $150 for an hour session, and most therapists recommend three sessions for maximum effect. It is not recommended during pregnancy or menstruation and for those with abdominal cancer or vascular abnormalities. For a practitioner in your area: www.naturaltherapypages.com.au.

No comments: