Sunday, July 21, 2013

High Tea with Mum, anyone?


So it was my birthday. The boys were all heading off, beanies in hand, for the Collingwood versus Gold Coast Suns footy game (yawn) and my mother determined that WE were not to be outdone. So she invited one of my besties and we lippyed up and headed to the so-kitsch-it's-cool Verscace Hotel in Surfer's Paradise (think Miami on steroids, my American friends).

As I sat there supping darjeeling, quaffing champers and scoffing myself with lashings and lashings of teeny cakes, oversized scones and mushy cucumber sandwiches, I couldn't help wondering what my protagonist Roxy Parker (of the Ghostwriter Mystery series) would make of all this.
[AD BREAK: You can grab your copies at Amazon and Smashwords, now.]

Not Roxy's cup of tea at all, I'd've thought (the bubbly and best friend would have been welcome, the mother not so much). We had a lot of fun, and there wasn't a single patronising word or eyeroll from anyone. I didn't even get a raised eyebrow over my black skinny jeans and mulberry suede ankle boots.

I guess that answers the question I often get from readers about whether Roxy's mum Lorraine Jones is modelled on my own mother.

God no. Thank God, no! But gee she's a fun character to write. I'd love to hear about YOUR mums/moms, too, people. Are they meddling like Lorraine? Away with the fairies like Max's mum (we'll meet her in the next book), or generous and full of good ideas like mine?

Do tell, darlinks! (That's High Tea-speak for 'oi, let us know')

Oh and happy reading, everyone.
xo Christina

No comments: